The South Coast's best training
in Acting, Singing & Dance for young people
Qualified, Professional & friendly staff training young people in Theatre
Firstly, we hope this finds you all well.
I felt I should send you an email to outline our plans so far in case of any impending closures or restrictions. It is imperative to me that we keep going for as long as we can as I believe participation in Performing Arts is imperative to our mental well being but we are also concerned that we keep everyone safe, healthy and follow all government guidelines.
1) If schools and Colleges close- we will follow suit immediately and all classes will be suspended.
2) If Poole College closes but schools don’t - then classes will stop in this venue with opportunities to come to a class at another site- Southborne, Ferndown and Christchurch.
3) If the College closes before 'Anything Can Happen day’ we will postpone this until a later date - The students are doing wonderful things and I am determined that you should all see their independent work; their imaginations and inclusivity with each other has been magic! If all goes to plan you will be able to buy tickets on the day £5 (please do this as you drop students off)
4) As we move forward; next term all classes will be working towards the show ‘Moana’ in July. I had hoped to run different shows for our younger and older students but given the current climate I believe one show will be more manageable. We have paid for the license and the licensee have already emailed us to say we can change dates etc if venues close in the meantime. The scripts are £10 and you can pay for and order one now, either in class or via BACS. I will be emailing casting within the next few weeks.
5) in case of school closure ( and the impending boredom that may arise!!) I run private classes from home and as long as I stay well I am happy to take on more students during the day for Singing or Acting tuition. My 1:1 students study towards LAMDA exams (if they want) in either Musical Theatre or Acting ( you can find details of these at https://www.lamda.ac.uk/our-exams/applications-within-the-uk/uk-public-centre )
6) If classes are forced to stop prematurely we will find a way to recompense any fees that have been paid when we reopen.
7) Finally, if your child is unwell please follow the guidelines as per PHE. We are ensuring lots of hand washing within class!
Any questions please email me directly and I will get back to you asap.
South Coast Academy of Performing Arts
As the former Head of Performing Arts at The College, Jo had the privilege of nurturing the careers of 1000’s of young people - be they budding actors or young people needing a direction.
SCAPA has been developed to encourage and nurture not only the next generation of performer but most importantly, ensure that ALL young people have an opportunity to capture and develop their creative spirit in an environment that recognises their individuality. SCAPA prides itself in being a ‘fun family’ - everything we do aims to increase confidence, self-awareness, skills and communication in a supportive AFFORDABLE way.
Creative arts are slowly disappearing from the curriculum even though it is vital to society and the economy. It is our experience that performing arts can really change the lives of those who partake - in whatever form, and this is why we now dedicate our time to creating experiences for young people- whatever their ability.
Our mission is:
To NURTURE, ENCOURAGE and DEVELOP CONFIDENCE.
To ENJOY and ACHIEVE.
Jo now works with Head of Drama at Queen Elizabeths School Alex Chester, choreographer & actor Carl Christopher, performer Lizzi Briscoe, actor Adam Payne and former Theatre Manager of the Regent Centre, Barrington Theatre (and Jo's husband) Rupert Barrington.
Together they run The Academy.
Affordable, excellent training run exclusively from theatres and dedicated spaces in the area!
Monday Nights 17.00 - 18.30 @
Saturday Mornings 9.30-12.30 @
NEW FOR 2019 - Saturday Mornings 9.30-12.30 @
Saturday Afternoons 14.00-16.00 @
Your Career Starts Now
Jo is a professional singer, having toured with (among others) The Chuckle Brothers! She has trained with world class teachers using the Vocal Process technique for voice and singers.
At The Academy we develop dancing and movement skills around Musical Theatre from Carl, Alex and Jo.
All of our teachers have performed on a variety of stages in a variety of forms. All have acted in their time and are fully trained in order to train young people in this worthwhile medium.
Tel: 07525 040296
Tel: 07539 239998